Saturday, November 6, 2010
- In a large bowl, beat the 1 cup butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds or until softened. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and lemon flavoring; beat well. Add flour and salt. Beat until well mixed. (If necessary, stir in last part of flour.)
- Shape into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten to 2-inch circles with the bottom of a glass dipped in granulated sugar. Bake in 375° F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool cookies on wire rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, stir together 2/3 cup granulated sugar and cornstarch. Stir in lemon peel and juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into beaten egg. Return all of the egg mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more; do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon butter. Cover surface with plastic wrap; chill.
- To assemble cookies, spread about 1-1/2 teaspoons filling on flat sides of half the cookies; top with remaining cookies, flat sides toward filling. Store filled cookies in the refrigerator.