Monday, November 8, 2010
Candy Cane Cookies
- 1 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/2 cup peppermint candy canes, crushed
- 1/2 cup white sugar for decoration
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, sugar and powdered sugar. Beat in the egg, vanilla and peppermint extracts. Combine the flour and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Cover or wrap dough and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Divide dough into halves. Color one half red by mixing in the food color. Roll a small amount of each dough into a 2-inch-long worm. Roll them together in a twisted rope and curve the end like a cane. Place onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. In a small bowl, mix together the crushed candy cane and remaining sugar. Roll hot cookies in the sugar mixture.