171 DAYS AND COUNTING.

Thursday, July 7, 2011


Hi there,  I am just checking in to see how you are going with your dreams and plans and schemes.

I am still pondering my colour scheme but have gone through my Christmas Card list and tidied that up and put changed addresses in and sadly taken out those who are no longer here to celebrate Christmas with us.

I shall watch the Post Office carefully and as soon as the Christmas Stamps come out I will buy some each week - in the meantime I put $4.00 a week aside in a Christmas Tin - for postage at Christmas time.  This was the cost is hardly felt at all and it makes me feel good having a Christmas tin on my desk and knowing that the money is for something special.

Our Christmas in July isn't going to happen but we may do something for Christmas in August - everyone seems so busy and it is difficult to get everyone together.

The main thing to do is to keep Christmas in your heart all day everyday and that way nothing becomes a chore. 

A good winter job is to sort through your recipes and decide what you are going to make this year.   I usually start buying non perishable groceries in August/September and again that doesn't impact too much on the budget if a few are bought each week.

Sharing a recipe with you that I received in a Christmas Group today that is just too good not to share:

Caramel crunch ice-cream balls



    Photography by Mark O'Meara

    Makes

    20

    Ingredients

    • 1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted
    • 1/2 cup caster sugar
    • 2 litres vanilla ice-cream, softened
    • 380g can Top'n'Fill Caramel
    • 200g dark chocolate melts
    • 60g copha

    Method

    1. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Sprinkle almonds over tray. Combine sugar and 1/2 cup warm water in a saucepan over low heat. Simmer, stirring, for 3 minutes. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, for 10 minutes or until mixture is golden. Remove from heat. Stand for 1 minute to allow bubbles to subside. Pour over almonds. Allow to cool until set.

    2. Peel baking paper from almond mixture. Cut almond mixture into small pieces. Combine ice-cream and almond mixture in a bowl. Fold caramel through ice-cream. Return ice-cream to container. Place in freezer overnight or until firm.

    3. Scoop small balls of ice-cream onto a tray lined with baking paper. Freeze for 30 minutes.

    4. Meanwhile, place chocolate and copha in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high (100%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, or until smooth. Set aside. Allow to cool slightly.

    5. Using a fork, dip the ice-cream balls in chocolate mixture. Return to prepared tray. Place in freezer for 30 minutes or until chocolate mixture is set. Serve.

    I hope this sounds as yummy to you as it does to me.


    Keep the Christmas spirit alive and well in your heart.


    Love and hugs,
    Linda. 



    1 comments:

    Unknown July 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM  

    Yummo, I think I will have to expand my Christmas groups.
    So exciting, 170 days now!

    (started purchasing cards and waiting for the stamps to come out too)

    Post a Comment